It's only a few hours after the end of the NFL Draft, but Pitt already has their third undrafted free agent signing in safety Jason Hendricks. Hendricks' agent announced the decision and it was also confirmed by the Panthers' athletics department:
Hendricks was one of those guys that you could have seen a team taking a flyer on at the end of the draft. He had a big junior season and was named Second Team All-Conference after six interceptions. That was the most in the conference, and as I wrote at the time, I believed he was a snub for the first team.
After that standout year, he got a lot of preseason recognition this year, being named to the official preseason All-ACC team as well as others such CBS Sports. He didn't do as much this season in terms of interceptions with only one pick, but he contributed plenty. Hendricks was the team's leading tackler with 85 stops, and also recovered a fumble, forced another, and defended numerous passes.
A lot of undrafted free agents don't stick, but I really think Hendricks is one of those guys that might.
Check out our complete NFL Draft site for more on all of Pitt's players headed to the pros.
- Houston Texans (finally) select Pitt quarterback Tom Savage in fourth round of NFL Draft
- 2014 Pitt football preview for Saturday Edge
- Tom Savage falls out of third round in 2014 NFL Draft; heads into final day not selected
- Pitt vs. Maryland Baseball: Three Questions With Testudo Times' Andrew Kramer
- St. Louis Rams Draft Recap: Aaron Donald pick earning high grades immediately following his selection