With so much going on in football and basketball, I've gotten away a little from the wrestling program since the Penn State match. But the Panthers are still alive and well.
In fact, after easily defeating Maryland this past weekend, 26-9, Pitt moved into the top ten in the polls this week. The Panthers could stay there for a while as the team is off until the Southern Scuffle in the beginning of January. They are currently No. 10 and trail only No. 6 Virginia Tech for top spot in the ACC.
Other Top 25 ACC schools are No. 11 Virginia and No. 21 North Carolina State.
Also of note is that senior Max Thomusseit is the consensus No. 1 wrestler in the nation at 184 pounds. According to the athletics department website, that's the first time in the program's history that Pitt has had a consensus No. 1 (although, technically, others have essentially been that by winning individual titles at the end of the year).
Just a big achievement for him after his 10-0 start to the year.
- King of the Hill: Cardiac Hill's ACC Basketball Power Rankings (Week 5)
- Dixon should "reinvent" the Pitt basketball team to a smaller lineup
- Cardiac Spill: 2014 Holiday Gift Guide!
- Five Reasons to care about the Pitt-Houston Armed Forces Game
- 2014 Armed Forces Bowl: Pitt vs. Houston Game Information