Despite the two monster games Pitt running back James Conner has put together, I'm still in the camp of it being way too early to talk about him for national awards. It would be one thing if Conner were an early favorite, but since he's not, he's really going to have impress voters if Pitt hovers around being a 7-8 win team.
Still, Conner is getting some early respect from at least the sportsbooks. He entered the season off the books when it came to Heisman candidates. Conner is still a relative longshot, but he's shooting up the boards. Bovada recently gave him 33:1 odds.
That might sound like a lot and, well, it kind of is. But Conner even being mentioned at this point is still impressive. In fact, those odds put Conner in a tie for 14th overall.
Coming into this season, Conner was a virtual unknown on the national landscape in college football. For him to get this kind of recognition this early, despite the opponents, is a big deal.
- Against the Odds: Pitt heavy favorites against Florida International
- Breaking down the Two-deep: Pitt at FIU
- Poll of the Week: Non-Revenue Sports
- Pitt vs. FIU: Florida International freshman Alex McGough to start at quarterback over E.J. Hillard
- King of the Hill: Cardiac Hill's ACC Power Rankings (Week 2)