Here are the most recent rankings after this week's ACC action. We're starting to settle in a little here. There's movement, but the top half of the conference is mostly separated out from the second half at this point. There's a chance for the Wolfpack to move up and maybe a team like Pitt or Virginia Tech moves down.
The big move up this week comes from North Carolina after they beat Miami. They climbed three spots after Virginia Tech threw everything out of whack with an upset loss to Syracuse. They own a head-to-head win over the Tar Heels but North Carolina had to be ranked higher since they beat Florida State, just had the big Miami win, and the Hokies suffered an ugly loss. And as a result, Syracuse climbed several spots and out of the basement with the Virginia Tech win.
Locally, Pitt moves up a spot with their win over Virginia. Hard to put them any higher than No. 6 right now and, obviously, teams like Virginia Tech and North Carolina State could prove to be better teams.
The previous week’s rankings are in parentheses and as always, let me know what I got right/wrong in the comments.
- Clemson (1) / 7-0: Wasn't easy, but Clemson pulled out a 24-17 win over North Carolina State
- Louisville (2) / 5-1: Also not easy, but Louisville beat Duke, 24-14
- North Carolina (6) 5-2: Beat Miami on road in big 20-13 win
- Florida State (3) / 5-2: Sensing a theme here? Not easy, but beat Wake Forest, 17-6
- Miami (4) / 4-2: Down a spot after loss to North Carolina
- Pitt (7) / 5-2: Up a spot after 45-31 win over Virginia
- Virginia Tech (5) / 4-2: Upset by Syracuse, 31-17
- North Carolina State (8) / 4-2: Played well in relatively close loss to Clemson
- Wake Forest (9) / 5-2: Hold steady at No. 9 after decent showing against Seminoles
- Georgia Tech (10) / 4-3: 35-24 win over Georgia Southern
- Syracuse (14) / 3-4: Out of basement with win over Hokies
- Virginia (11) / 2-4: Down a spot with Pitt loss
- Duke (12) / 3-4: Down a spot with loss to Cardinals and Syracuse win
- Boston College (13) / 3-3: We have a new basement team after the Eagles' idle week