Had sort of a hectic week so Pitt's bye came at just the right time for me. The Panthers are off today but I wanted to throw up an open thread, anyway, since I imagine many of you will be watching other games.
Also today is the basketball team's open scrimmage up at The Pete. Like I mentioned earlier, it's a great idea to give fans something to do with the football team off.
The next game for Pitt is obviously a big one. And Virginia Tech has looked terribly impressive this year. Short of an unlikely two-touchdown loss to Syracuse and the loss to Tennessee earlier this year, they've dominated everybody else, including North Carolina and last week, Miami.
A few other quick hitters related to Pitt this week:
- Ejuan Price, Dorian Johnson, and Quadree Henderson made several midseason All-American teams, so it's great to see that group recognized for their play. All three guys will have a great chance to make teams at the end of the year in my estimation.
- ESPN.com gave the Pitt throwbacks/alternates some more recognition
- The basketball team announced its theme days for the year with some special ticket offers.
- Andy Katz says Pitt's basketball team will make the NCAA Tournament. As I said before, I'm surprised people expect them to miss it.
- More Pitt secondary talk at the Trib
- The road is difficult, but Pitt is still technically alive to win the Coastal Division
- Women's volleyball is still having a solid year, but struggling lately, dropping to 1-4 in their past five matches. Next up is Louisville on Sunday and that match is on ROOT Sports and ESPN3 at 3:00 p.m.
- Here's a Post-Gazette piece on cornerback Phillipe Motley