Here are this week’s ACC football power rankings. These are the final rankings of the regular season but I may come back after bowl season and do one more.
Locally, Pitt enjoys the biggest jump after beating Miami. I moved Pitt over several teams but with good reason. They deserve to be ahead of both Virginia and Duke for winning those games but it was difficult to move them ahead of Georgia Tech, who technically has a better record at 5-6 and who beat them head-to-head.
In the end, though, Pitt deserved to jump both Virginia and Duke for not only how they finished the year but because they beat both head-to-head and the records are similar. That was ultimately more important than penalizing them for a Georgia Tech loss that came in the first month of the season.
1. (2) Clemson (11-1) - Beat No. 24 South Carolina convincingly on the road, 34-10
2. (1) Miami (10-1) - Haha
3. (3) Virginia Tech (9-3) - Beat Virginia, 10-0
4. (5) North Carolina State (8-4) - Beat North Carolina, 33-21
5. (6) Louisville (8-4) - Beat Kentucky, 44-17
6. (4) Wake Forest (7-5) - Lost to Duke, 31-23
7. (7) Boston College (7-5) - Beat Syracuse, 42-14
8. (9) Florida State (5-6) - Beat Florida, 38-22
9. (13) Pitt (5-7) - Haha
10. (8) Virginia (6-6) - Lost to Virginia Tech
11. (10). Duke (6-6) - Beat Wake Forest
12. (11) Georgia Tech (5-6) - Lost to Georgia, 38-7
13. (12) Syracuse (4-8) - Lost to Boston College
14. (14) North Carolina (3-9) - Lost to NC STate
Be sure to join Cardiac Hill's Facebook page and follow us on Twitter @PittPantherBlog for our regular updates on Pitt athletics. Follow the author and founder/editor @AnsonWhaley.