Pitt football offensive lineman Brian O’Neill is a semifinalist for the Wuerffel Trophy. The award is given annually to the FBS player excelling in community service, athletics, and academics.
O’Neill was named a candidate last summer before the season began. He is now one of 11 semifinalists left.
O’Neill has been active in many volunteer efforts, including the following:
- Went on a mission to trip to Haiti, serving in orphanages
- Worked on behalf of the Coalition for Christian Outreach for a second mission trip
- Visited the Southwestern Pennsylvania Veterans Center
- Visited the Mel Blount Youth Home
- Participated in Christmas at Pitt program, gathering and wrapping gifts for needy families
- Volunteered with Big Brothers Big Sisters
- Visited Boys and Girls Club of Western Pennsylvania
The award is named after former Florida quarterback Danny Wuerffel. Three finalists will be announced on November 22nd with the winner being named on December 6.