Here are this week’s ACC football power rankings.
Typically there’s at least one week that throws the power rankings completely out of sorts and that was this weekend.
The biggest problem was caused by Virginia defeating Georgia Tech. Virginia’s record, as I’ve said all year, is pretty inflated. The problem is when they beat the Yellow Jackets, they have a significantly better record and thus, had to go in front of them. That meant a larger-than-usual jump for the Cavaliers.
None of that is really a problem but when Pitt fans see that Virginia, who the Panthers beat convincingly, ahead of them, it won’t make sense. But the Panthers lost to Georgia Tech and can’t simply jump up just to stay ahead of Virginia (a team that still is two games ahead of them in the standings).
Pitt actually dropped two spots despite being on a bye week because of Florida State upsetting Syracuse - another team that has to remain ahead of Pitt because of their head-to-head win.
As usual, let me know you agree/disagree with.
1. (1) Miami (8-0) - 28-10 win over Virginia Tech
2. (2) Clemson (8-1) - 38-31 win over NC State
3. (3) Virginia Tech (7-2) - Lost to Miami
4. (4) North Carolina State (6-3) - Lost to Clemson
5. (6) Wake Forest (5-4) - Lost to Notre Dame, 48-37
6. (7) Boston College (5-4) - Bye
7. (12) Virginia (6-3) - Beat Georgia Tech, 40-36
8. (5) Georgia Tech (4-4) - Lost to Virginia
9. (9) Louisville (5-4) - Bye
10. (11) Florida State (3-5) - Beat Syracuse, 27-24
11. (8) Syracuse (4-5) - Lost to Florida State
12. (10) Pitt (4-5) - Bye
13. (13). Duke (4-5) - Bye
14. (14) North Carolina (1-8) - Bye