Here’s how I rank the conference teams based on what we’ve seen so far. Number in parentheses is the team’s ranking last week.
- (1) Clemson (7-0) - 45-10 win over Louisville
- (2) Virginia (5-2) - 48-14 win over Duke
- (3) Pitt (5-2) - 27-20 win over Syracuse
- (6) Wake Forest (6-1) - 22-20 win over Florida State
- (4) Florida State (3-4) - Lost to Wake Forest
- (5) Louisville (4-3) - Lost to Clemson
- (10) Boston College (4-3) - 45-24 win over NC State
- (8) Duke (4-3) - Lost to Virginia
- (11) Virginia Tech (5-2) - 43-41 win over North Carolina
- (7) North Carolina (3-4) - Lost to Virginia Tech
- (9) North Carolina State (4-3) - Lost to Boston College
- (13) Syracuse (3-4) - Lost to Pitt
- (14) Georgia Tech (2-5) - Beat Miami, 28-21
- (12) Miami (3-4) - Lost to Georgia Tech
Balancing these rankings is getting harder and harder as we get deeper into the season. That’s because teams are starting to beat up on each other and keeping track of who beat who gets quite difficult. And we’ve officially got the ACC Coastal Division Circle of Suck now, so that tells you how hard this gets.
No movement at the top with the top three teams, including Pitt, all winning their games. Wake Forest moves up a couple with a fairly impressive win over a tough Florida State team. Louisville fans might have some beef with their No. 6 ranking since they beat Wake head to head. But they can’t realistically be higher since they have two more losses than Wake and also lost to FSU.
Boston College moves up the most by virtue of an impressive win over NC State while North Carolina falls the most after losing a crazy game to Virginia Tech. Tech is 5-2 and might have the biggest complaint about their ranking. But it is difficult to move them up higher since they lost to both of the teams in front of them, Boston College and Duke.
We’ve got a new basement dweller in Miami, who was just upset by woeful Georgia Tech. Last week, I mentioned that I didn’t think the Hurricanes were the 12th best team in the conference but after the Georgia Tech loss, frankly, I don’t know how you don’t rank them in place this week.
What about you? What does your ranking look like?