As expected, the ACC Network launching this year will offer all sorts of opportunities for conference teams to appear on TV. The biggest beneficiaries, perhaps, will be the Olympic sports teams, which have almost exclusively had their games streamed only online.
Pitt volleyball will have six of its matches aired on the network, as announced on Wednesday.
The Panthers’ 2019 schedule was just released last week and because the non-conference portion features so many tough opponents, the ACC portion was sort of lost in the shuffle. Some of that is because, frankly, the league wasn’t very good last year. But the network games announced are all against ACC foes:
- Wednesday, Sept. 25 – Pitt at Virginia (6:30 p.m. ET)
- Sunday, Sept. 29 – Virginia Tech at Pitt (4 p.m. ET)
- Sunday, Oct. 6 – Pitt at Florida State (Noon ET)
- Sunday, Oct. 27 – Pitt at Louisville (3 p.m. ET)
- Friday, Nov. 22 – Florida State at Pitt (Time TBD)
- Wednesday, Nov. 27 – Louisville at Pitt (Time TBD)
We’ll understand this more in the coming seasons but the ACC Network will be a wonderful opportunity for Pitt and other conference teams to have some of their Olympic sports teams featured. And for a program on the rise like Pitt volleyball, it should be especially helpful in terms of fan engagement and even recruiting.
And the added revenue from said network won’t hurt, either — even though there’s still some uncertainty about its viability.