Back with the second week of ACC football power rankings. With teams still playing non-conference foes for the most part, it’s difficult to get a great handle on things.
Without further ado, here are my rankings of conference teams this week. I’ve added the team’s previous ranking in parentheses before their name.
- (1) Clemson (2-0) - Earned a decisive 24-10 win over No. 12 Texas A&M
- (3) Virginia (2-0) - 52-17 blowout win over William & Mary
- (4) North Carolina State (2-0) - 41-0 shutout over Western Carolina
- (8) North Carolina (2-0) - 28-25 win over Miami
- (6) Boston College (2-0) - 45-13 win over Richmond
- (9) Louisville (1-1) - 42-0 win over Eastern Kentucky
- (10) Virginia Tech (1-1) - 31-17 win over Old Dominion
- (11) Wake Forest (2-0) - 41-21 win over Rice
- (7) Florida State (1-1) - Narrow 45-44 win over UL Monroe
- (2) Miami (0-2) - Lost to North Carolina
- (12) Pitt (1-1) - 20-10 win over Ohio
- (5) Syracuse (1-1) - 63-20 loss to Maryland
- (14) Duke (1-1) - 45-13 win over North Carolina A&T
- (13) Georgia Tech (1-1) - 14-10 win over South Florida
Miami took a big hit, falling from No. 2 down to No. 10 after falling to the Tar Heels. North Carolina, conversely, took the biggest step up.
Florida State barely beat UL Monroe. Despite that win, they drop two spots as their loss to Boise State last week looks a tad worse with the Broncos only squeaking by Marshall this week. Plus, more importantly, both Virginia Tech and Wake Forest had more impressive victories, so they leapfrogged the Seminoles.
Pitt moves up one spot to No. 11 with its win over Ohio but only because Syracuse looked so horrible in a blowout against Maryland. I’m not sure the Orange will necessarily finish that low but I’m not sure how you justify them any higher at this stage. And again, this is based on how teams are playing at the moment. Duke and Georgia Tech both remain tough calls as their losses were against Clemson and Bama.