Well, Pitt is moving on to the quarterfinals tomorrow against Duke. After the teams traded baskets in the early going, Pitt began to build a big lead, going into the break up 44-31. It all unraveled pretty quickly after intermission and Pitt found themselves in a battle. Georgia Tech took their first lead since it was 8-6 at 52-50 with 12 minutes and change left in the game. Pitt responded with a Federiko dunk. As has been the case so often with this team, they made plays down the stretch and came away with a victory. Here are a few notes about each player.
- Nailed a big step back three to extend Pitt’s lead to 19-12.
- Had a bit of a rough patch early in the 2nd half with a few turnovers and bad shots that allowed GT to mount a comeback.
- He recovered and scored several crucial baskets on layups in the final minutes.
- Made four monster three pointers, each one bigger than the last. Closed the game by making all four free throws in the final 30 seconds.
- Has tried to take the ball to the basket a lot in the early going.
- Made a sweet defensive play on a fast break by backing up as the GT player tried to initiate contact.
- Struggled a bit to find his shot for most of the game, but as has been the case so soften, he made two big shots down the stretch. One a three pointer and the other the traditional and one.
- Most of his baskets were in his sweet spot of the middle of the paint.
- Had several big buckets down the stretch.
- His footwork is just so good.
- He finished with a game-high 21 points on 10-15 shooting and team-high 8 assists. Vintage JB.
- Had a strong first half with 13 points and 5 rebounds.
- Made a nice pass to a cutting Hinson for a lay-up near the end of the half
- Picked up his fourth foul with just under ten minutes left in the half.
- Finished with 19 and 8. Other than mishandling a couple rebounds that would have given him a double double, this was a fantastic game. He was 7-7 from the field.
- Chased down a long rebound in the first half and immediately took it back to the hoop for a lay-in
- Excellent weak-side rebound off a baseline miss by Sibande midway through the 2nd half. He got fouled and made both.
- Made a really nice block.
- Not much sticks out for me from his three minutes of play. He grabbed a rebound and missed his only shot attempt.